Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Collisions: Julie Clarke + Mark McDean (04.05.2012)

Necklace. Julie Clarke 2012
 Leather necklace strap with clasp, red felt cut into oval shapes, silver safety pins, gold metallic thread and rectangles of Sonograph film depicting Deep Vein Thrombosis ultrasound.
Example of ultrasound images on necklace
This necklace is my response to Mark's recent artwork of a jewel-like, oval shape which contained a microscopic image of HIV and could easily be a piece of crochet with decorative elements.  Since I received Mark's work in the post the day I had a Doppler ultrasound undertaken for a suspected deep vein thrombosis in my left leg (thankfully, there was no blood clot) I thought I would include cut up pieces of the Sonographic film against a backdrop of knowledge that dis(eases) of this nature, may only be detected through light and technology. Given this, the artwork might have been something completely different, but it was a cold day, so I stayed home for the remainder of the afternoon and constructed a response, one that worked from the premise of the oval as egg - white and yolk.  Yolk,  made me think of yoke - something around the neck, which collides with Mark's work entitled The Dark Past in which he constructed a collar. The pieces of red felt should be read as simply that: felt/emotion. Of course, the color red depicts blood and life. The safety pins and metallic thread are decorative elements, but refer back to my earlier artworks entitled Vault, Loadstar and Skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment