Thursday, March 8, 2012

Collisions: Julie Clarke + Mark McDean (2 March 2012)

Loadstar. Julie Clarke 2012
Loadstar is a plywood construct in the shape of a five pointed star, the edges covered with fake gold leaf.  The star is covered in textured paper, covered with butterflies and plants and the insert is a circular photograph. 12 X 12 cm approx.

In my response to Mark McDean's recent artwork, I've taken on his notion of 'mother load' and 'burden', in which he speaks about 'carrying a life'. The photograph in the circle is taken from one of myself with my son, taken about 34 years ago - his little hand resting on mine as I encircle his body. I carried him, but  since the carrying was derived from love, it was no burden. Now, as I grow older he supports me in various ways. The photograph serves to show that there is a reversal of sorts, since it is the child's hand that  appears to console the parent. I've entitled this precious image Loadstar, because a lodestar is a person or thing that serves as a guide. I've designed the artwork to resemble a brooch, for brooches were probably one of the first practical clothing accessories to join two things together, which eventually evolved into pure adornment. I've utilized the pentagram because of its historical association with the body, the five senses and five elements and is also a symbol of protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment