Tuesday, March 2, 2010

David Henry Clarke (12.10.1920 - 03.03.1990)

David Henry Clarke (12.10.1920 - 3.3.1990) Bombardier, 2/11 Field Regiment, Australian Imperial Force, WW2. Served in Egypt, Palestine, Syria, Lebanon and New Guinea. Official photograph taken by the Australian Government.

It's been twenty years since my father died. I didn't know him well. In fact, I know little about him, except that his two younger sisters drowned when he was fifteen and he was a Bombardier in WW2. My memories of him are limited (and I won't go into them here) because I knew him for only a few years when I was a child and for two years preceding his death. I think of him always on Anzac Day. I bring out two photographs, one of him above and the other of his father - Charles Winter Clarke, a farrier in the 4th Lighthorse Regiment of the AIF from 1917 to 1919 who served in Gallipoli. I light a small candle in memory of their sacrifice and their honor as well as OUR pain and sacrifice. War doesn't only change the lives of those who serve, it affects families in many ways generation after generation.

I often sit underneath the Plane tree in a particular secluded courtyard at the University of Melbourne when I want to think or when I just want to drink in it its soft cover. Its long sturdy branches shoot out towards the buildings, twist and contort like an arthritic’s hands and form a vast umbrella across a radius a hundred foot from its trunk. Brought to our shores from the Ambassador of Brazil, this Plane tree has been growing since my great-great-grandmother arrived in Australia. I sit under its canopy of leaves that have internal veins that run into five spikes - a continuous Mandelbrot pattern repeated over and over again in the light green foliage that hangs in the gentle breeze. The tree a moving chandelier of radiant light that speaks of spring or at other times the falling leaves of Autumn. The trunk covered with a splendid, speckled cloak - the green and brown of military garb - a soldier camouflaged, standing tall, holds its bark, a strange disease-like skin that clings.

4 comments:

  1. I know that plane tree it is very nice, and its five branched pattern are I think patterned after the manner of a fibonacci series, rather than a Mandelbrot one. Some plane tree leaves have properties that are used to treat dysentery, a nice tree for an ambassador to gift to Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an amazing tree and Mandelbrot was the only pattern I could think of whilst looking at the leaves. I was more concerned with conveying a sense of repetition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and war breaks up families - and causes alcoholism and gambling and fracturing - and fractalling and disowning one's blood brothers and sisters in lieu of speaking with pride of a half brother. Blood is joined forever and all aspects linked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, war does all of that!
    But, I must say, I have never disowned my blood brothers and sisters. I don't know where two of my full blood brothers or one of my half brothers reside.
    I do acknowledge the achievements of my half brother, but I can't say that I know him, since I've only ever met him once. However, he is a face book friend.
    I would acknowledge my half sister Lauren Howe, but also, can't say that I know her well having only ever met up with her a few times in my life. We are also face book friends.
    As to my two full sisters. I've rarely seen either in the past twenty years and became alienated from both for different reasons.
    One wanted to control me by attempting to curtail a creative endeavor (namely the writing of my autobiographical novel), the other was always critical and never supportive of my decisions in life. No one minds 'constructive criticism' - but really!
    I hate negativity and have been much less anxious and more self-confident since I removed myself from what you call 'my blood family'.
    I find I have much more respect from my half brother and sister than I ever had from my full brothers and sisters.
    It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

    ReplyDelete